Anyway, chimney done and roof in place. Had to cut the roof down as it was a bit too big taken straight from the template. Also a bit of a faff fitting it around the chimney. I used a bit of a plastic brush protector as a base for the chimney pot before wrapping it in putty. I went with plastic sheet for the roof as I recall cardboard warping badly on models I'd built in the past. It could sometimes create a nice sagging effect but that would usually be countered with a horrible bulge opposite.
Roof tiles needed a bit of thought. The White Dwarf article suggests 6mm to 10mm square tiles. 6 looked way too small and 10 too big. I went with 8mm. Still have the nagging feeling they're a touch large but hopefully it'll look alright when done.
Whilst working on the chimney I got a little impatient and started a second cottage. Same basic design but with a small side extension. Notice blood for the blood god on the front wall. Bloody needle files are pointy!
Need to finish the door details before cracking on with the chimney. The plan is to speed up that process by doing a rendered finish on that to match the wall infill. I'll add a few areas of bare stone where the rendering has fallen away but that should come together a lot quicker.