Saturday, 23 September 2017

Blood Bowl odds & ends

A quick post here. Just some Blood Bowl bits and pieces that I finished up recently. It's a mix of official and unofficial models. First up there's a few old hobgoblins painted to match some models I painted a few years back. Two extra players and an assassin star player, which I think is a conversion done by the owner.


Also, for a team I painted a while back there's another halfling and some stunned and KO'd treeman markers (by Greebo Games).



Finally there's a pair of familiar looking reporters from Fanath Art (no longer available it seems sadly).


There's more Blood Bowl to come as well over the next few weeks as I have Chaos dwarves to add to the hobgoblins to make up a full team.

Sunday, 10 September 2017

AD&D Minotaur

I recently finished a small commission for more Oldhammer type models. This time the old AD&D Minotaur and a pack of wolves.




I've loved this model ever since first seeing it in the Spring 86 Citadel Journal which I bought on my very first visit to a GW store in 1988. It's one of Citadel's best in my eyes and I did finally pick up my own copy of the model on Ebay some years ago.

The wolves are a mix of goblin wolves and Leman Russ' Freki and Geri.



Sunday, 27 August 2017

In Her Majesty's Name - Servants of Ra

Just a quick post here as I've finished painting up the Servants of Ra set for In Her Majesty's Name by North Star Military Figures. Nice change from some of what I've been working on in recent months. Lots of red though which started to get a little tedious but thankfully I decided to get the cultists done first so the characters proved quite refreshing afterwards. The eye of Ra symbol on the robes is a decal I printed off.


We've got Sairah and Professor Abir


Akhenaton and a mummified priest.


Cultists.



And an additional character, Jack the Ripper.



Monday, 21 August 2017

Warhammer Cottage No.2

I've been busy working on my second cottage model. Just like the first one it's now ready for painting and basing. Changed a couple of things on this one. Most obvious is the rendered chimney. I wanted to do it a little differently to the bare stone of the first model and also do something a little quicker. I made the exposed stones the same way as before, placing them in patches and then using my filler mix to cover the rest of the chimney. The roof tiles are a little smaller this time too. I went for 7mm square tiles over the 8mm ones. I think they look a little better and not quite as big. They were tricky to keep alternating evenly though and I had to trim a lot to fit. Not a problem really on a roof that needs to look rustic but could be an issue on other models.




I also got a little carried away and printed out plans for the next building in the series, the small town house from WD131. Ended up cutting out parts for two houses so I can try a different wall infill on one.


For now though I think I should put some thought into how to paint the first two models before getting too far along with these. It's very addictive making these though.

Monday, 14 August 2017

Otherworld Miniatures Undead

Another quick post to show a few new undead from Otherworld Miniatures for their Judge's Guild Dark Tower range. A liche and some skellies. A nice change to paint some undead (itching to paint my own skellies too!) and a slightly different, darker bone colour used on these.



Saturday, 12 August 2017

Infinity Pan Oceania stuff

Just a quick one here. I finally finished up the last of the Infinity models I was doing. Here we've got a Cutter (a TAG I believe it's called) and a set of Knights of Santiago. The knights were very fiddly to assemble as they came in so many parts, twelve per model in fact. Funnily enough the big Cutter came in fewer pieces!







Tuesday, 8 August 2017

Warhammer Cottage - Still working on it

I'm still working on my model cottage. The chimney took quite a while to do so progress was a little slow there. I then had to wait a week to finish my breakfast cereal so I could finally butcher the packet for roof tiles. Reminded me of being a kid eyeing up the cereal packets for some project or other.

Anyway, chimney done and roof in place. Had to cut the roof down as it was a bit too big taken straight from the template. Also a bit of a faff fitting it around the chimney. I used a bit of a plastic brush protector as a base for the chimney pot before wrapping it in putty. I went with plastic sheet for the roof as I recall cardboard warping badly on models I'd built in the past. It could sometimes create a nice sagging effect but that would usually be countered with a horrible bulge opposite.




Roof tiles needed a bit of thought. The White Dwarf article suggests 6mm to 10mm square tiles. 6 looked way too small and 10 too big. I went with 8mm. Still have the nagging feeling they're a touch large but hopefully it'll look alright when done.

Whilst working on the chimney I got a little impatient and started a second cottage. Same basic design but with a small side extension. Notice blood for the blood god on the front wall. Bloody needle files are pointy!


Need to finish the door details before cracking on with the chimney. The plan is to speed up that process by doing a rendered finish on that to match the wall infill. I'll add a few areas of bare stone where the rendering has fallen away but that should come together a lot quicker.